Freezing Temperatures in Eastern NC
Weather forecast for Eastern North Carolina predicts freezing temperatures in January-February 2019! Water is one of life's necessities, but frozen water can cause major damage. Water's unique property to expand as it freezes can cause metal or plastic pipes to break.
Pipes that Freeze Most Frequently
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insultation.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- Let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes.
- Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night.
- Set the temperature at 55* if you are going to be away during cold weather.
Hopefully all your efforts to avoid frozen pipes will be successful. BUT is not, you will know it when the pipes begin to thaw! Frozen pipes can quickly cause a lot of damage to your property. When and if this happens, call SERVPRO of Bath 24/7. We can make it, "Like it never even happened®."